Samsung has been doing well the past years, the even ranked first when you talk about smart productions production, but the recent crisis has left the world wondering what next to do and what next smartphone to use.
Samsung halted sales of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones on Tuesday and told owners to stop using them while it investigates reports of fires, fuelling expectations the tech giant will scrap the flagship device.
The Top US and Australian carriers on Monday suspended sales or exchanges of the Note 7s, while major airlines reiterated bans on passengers using the phones, after smoke from a replacement device forced the evacuation of a passenger plane in the United States last week.
The world’s top smartphone maker said it had asked all global carriers to stop sales of the Note 7s and the exchange of original devices for replacements, while it worked with regulators to investigate the problem.
“Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device,” the company said in the statement.
Samsung’s decision to pull Note 7s off the shelves for the second time in less than two months underscores the South Korean firm’s struggles to fix the overheating issue.
The company is struggling to cope with the unprecedented recall of more than 2.5 million handsets issued a month ago. While the Note 7 had returned to sale, after problems associated with the original batch were supposedly fixed, several reports of the replacement devices overheating and bursting into flames suggest the company’s problems are not over.
The fault appears to lie in the device’s lithium-ion battery, which may be prone to overheating, causing fires and explosions. It is unclear how widespread the issue is.
AT&T and T-Mobile, two of the big four US mobile networks, said they would stop giving new Note 7 smartphones to consumers to replace older models while investigations of the replacement devices are underway.
Samsung said it had temporarily halted production. “We are temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters,” the company said.
The Note 7 recall is Samsung’s first smartphone recall and its biggest crisis in years.
The premium phone was hailed by critics as one of the best Android phones when it made its debut in August. Two months later, some consumers called the expensive device the “Death Note” after reports that dozens of the smartphones overheated or caught fire, in some cases damaging property or causing injuries.