According to Brianna Olivas, or Bree on Twitter, the phone was not charging and there is no explanation how this has happened. Smoke was the first indication something was wrong with the iPhone, and seconds later its metal shell burst with even more smoke.
Obviously, there was an issue with the battery, which swelled, caught on fire, and then broke the phone. Luckily, nobody was hurt by the phone and there are no property damages.
Apple is now in touch with Bree and is going to investigate the incident. And we’d expect nothing less – everyone has learned a valuable lesson with the Note7 debacle and no company will risk such history to repeat itself.